Saturday, October 22, 2011

Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins

Just a warning....these muffins are addictive! I found this recipe last fall and have made them quite often since then. Truthfully, I even made them in the middle of April because they sounded so good and I had some frozen pumpkin puree to use up. I whipped up a batch of these muffins a few weeks ago so that my husband could enjoy these before he left. 

On a personal note, blogging is going to be sporadic the next couple of weeks. I officially have seven days left with my husband before we are separated (military) for five months. We found out that he was leaving four weeks ago and since then, our time has been a blur of packing, preparing and squeezing in every moment together. The house is almost all packed up. About half of the Melt kitchen is going into the storage unit; the other half is traveling in the car with me as I venture to Wyoming to spend time with my grandparents and then drive across the country to live with my dear sister and be close to my parents. I will continue to blog from "guest kitchen's" as I will not be in my own. We will have to see how it all works out! I hope to be able to share my adventures and continue to produce quality pictures and interesting recipes.

In this time of transition and uncertainty, I cling to my faith in Jesus Christ and the love of my husband. My emotions are a mixture of excitement and sadness, hope and wistfulness, adventure and loneliness. I take many beautiful friendships with me from my time in Colorado; simultaneously looking forward to the new relationships and people around the next curve of my life path. My journey continues to evolve, adding more beauty to it with each passing moment. 

Now...back to amazing pumpkin muffins. If you get the chance to share these muffins with a friend or family member, slip your hand in theirs and tell them how much they mean you. 


Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins
Source: Country Living
Prep: 20 minutes   Bake: 20-25 minutes   Oven: 375 degrees F

8        oz. cream cheese, softened 
3        large eggs
2 1/2  cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2  cups sugar
1/4     cup pecans, chopped
3         tablespoons butter, melted
2 1/2  teaspoons cinnamon
1/2     teaspoon salt
2        teaspoons baking powder
1/4     teaspoon baking soda
1 1/4  cup pumpkin puree
1/3     cup vegetable oil
1/2     teaspoon vanilla

Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly coat a standard muffin tin with oil or papers and set aside.

Mix the cream cheese, 1 egg and 3 tablespoons sugar in a small bowl and set aside. Toss 5 tablespoons sugar, 1/2 cup flour, pecans, butter and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon in a medium bowl and set aside.

Combine the remaining 2 cups sugar, flour, remaining cinnamon, salt, baking powder and baking soda in a large bowl. Lightly beat the remaining eggs, pumpkin, oil and vanilla together in a medium bowl. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture, pour the pumpkin mixture into the well and mix with a fork just until moistened. 

Evenly divide half the batter among the muffin cups. Place 2 teaspoonfuls of the cream cheese filling into the center of each cup and fill with the remaining batter. Sprinkle some of the pecan mixture over the top of each muffin and bake until golden brown or a tester comes out clean, about 20-25 minutes. Cool on wire rack.

Harmony's Thoughts
Take extra care not to overfill the muffin cups. By the time you pour in 3 different layers, they can get very full and overflow.
I sometimes throw in a few more spices to make these taste even "warmer". Typically a grate or two of nutmeg and a dash of cloves.

No comments:

Post a Comment