Thursday, October 6, 2011

Gingersnap Cookies

Fall is one of my favorite times of year for baking. The beauty of the last fruit at the farmer's market, the enchantment of spices, and the cooler temperatures coax me into the kitchen to experiment with an idea or revisit a recipe from last fall.

Classic cookies have to be perfect. They do not need to be reinvented, just comforting in the same way each time. That is my view for a gingersnap. I have seen many recipes that call for unusual spices or chocolate. They don't even tempt me. I pull out the recipe my Mom used when I was a kid and begin my batch. 


Gingersnap Cookies
Source: Mom's recipe and very similar to the recipe on the back of a Grandma's molasses jar
Prep: 10 minutes   Bake: 8-10 minutes  Oven: 375 degrees F

3/4     cup shortening
1        cup brown sugar
1/4     cup molasses
1        egg
2 1/4  cup flour
2        teaspoons baking soda
1/2     teaspoon salt
1        teaspoon ginger
1        teaspoon cinnamon
1/2     teaspoon cloves
1/4     cup sugar

Cream shortening with brown sugar. Add molasses and egg; beat until fluffy. Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl. Mix with creamed mixture.
Form into small balls and roll in sugar. Place on greased cookie sheet (or lined with parchment) and bake at 375 degrees F for 8-10 minutes. Cool on wire racks.

Harmony's Thoughts
I tend to under bake these about a minute, in order to keep them soft.
When making cookies, I rarely combine my ingredients in a separate bowl. I just ensure that I mix them thoroughly. I do suggest that novice bakers do this step. Feel free to do what you please!

No comments:

Post a Comment