Sunday, September 18, 2011

Peach Cobbler

Have you ever tried to recreate something you ate at a restaurant? Not just use their idea to make something that you end up liking even better, I mean actually trying to get it to be the same exact texture and flavor. Usually when I eat something noteworthy, I will play on the basic ingredients and do my own thing with the rest, but after eating a fantastic peach cobbler at a restaurant in the mountains of Arizona this past February, I was determined to recreate it exactly as I remembered. 

Not only did that require patience and careful note taking, it also required that my husband and I eat four peach cobblers in two weeks! But on the fourth try...success! Warm peach cobbler with spices and a biscuit topping is absolutely delicious, but it was not the cobbler I was trying to recreate. I knew it had a cake-like texture with an almond flavoring, but other than those details I had no direction. Thankfully the fourth try was it, or this post would not exist. Hopefully you enjoy it as much as I did!




Peach Cobbler
Source: original recipe
Prep: 20 minutes   Bake: 35 minutes   Oven: 350 degrees F

1/2    cup butter
1/2    cup all-purpose flour
2       tablespoons cake flour
2       teaspoons baking powder
1/4    teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cup sugar, divided
1       cup milk
1 1/2 teaspoons almond flavoring
3       cups ripe peaches, peeled and sliced (about 3 peaches)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Put butter in bottom of a 8x8 square baking dish and set in oven to melt. In a bowl, mix together flours, baking powder, 1 cup sugar, and salt. Combine the almond flavoring with the milk and add to dry ingredients. Pour batter over melted butter; do not stir. Arrange peaches on top of batter; do not stir. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup sugar over the top of the peaches. Bake until crust is light brown and puffy, about 35 to 40 minutes. Serve warm.

Harmony's Thoughts
Be careful not to brown the butter when melting in the oven. I try to take it out while a small amount of the stick still remains and let it sit until the heat from the pan finishes melting it.
If you don't have cake flour, substitute with all-purpose flour. I was trying to create the lightest texture possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment