Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Chili Wraps

Back in May, when my husband and I visited his family up in Washington State, a family friend brought over a plate of chili wraps for us to enjoy. They were delicious and lived up to all that I had heard of them. I quickly asked her how she made them and she mentioned a few spices and her basic method of preparation. Hoping to replicate these wraps, I kept the instructions jotted down on a scrap of paper. 

Skip forward to a few weeks ago, a friend that I Jazzercise with gave me some ground elk burger and I brainstormed what to make with it. The chili wraps came to mind. Since elk is so lean, I did mix ground beef in with it to give it extra flavor. I have written the recipe using ground beef. We ate these chili wraps watching the Broncos game on Sunday and it was the perfect football snack!




Chili Wraps
Source: adapted from family friend, Norma Colon

1     lb. ground beef
1/8  teaspoon garlic powder
1/4  teaspoon onion powder
1     teaspoon adobo seasoning
1/2  teaspoon hot smoked spanish paprika
3     teaspoons chili powder
1     teaspoon salt
2     cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
8     large flour tortillas
1-2 cups vegetable oil, for frying


In a large skillet, over medium heat, cook ground beef until no longer pink. Drain most of the fat from the meat. Add the spices and salt and cook on low heat, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat. To fill the tortillas, place 1/4 cup of the meat mixture in the center of the tortilla; top with about 3 tablespoons cheese. Fold the two sides of the tortilla in toward the center; then fold the other two ends into the center.




Repeat with all the tortillas. In a cast iron skillet, add the vegetable oil until it is 1/2 inch deep; heat until rippling in the pan. Place one or two wraps in the pan and fry 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Serve with salsa and sour cream.



Harmony's Thoughts
Ground turkey can be substituted for the ground beef.
Use the largest tortilla wraps you can find. I used flour tortillas in wrap size.



No comments:

Post a Comment