Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Snow Crab Spread

Growing up in Adrian, Michigan seemed ordinary at the time. Adrian is a small town with the surrounding rural community comprised of farming. I pause to think on it now and wonder at the safety our small community provided. In high school, I began working for Merry Berry Farms and picked more fruits and vegetables than I can count. When I went to the farm, I felt a special connection with the fertile plants and trees around me and basked in the knowledge that God handcrafted each peach and raspberry I touched.

The most special aspect of Merry Berry Farm was the owners, Jim and Mary Ann. Their work ethic and kind love surrounded every part of my work. Their wisdom of how to nurture fruits and vegetables taught me methods that I use in my garden today.

One evening, after working for Jim and Mary Ann for a few years, they invited me out to eat all you can eat crab at a local restaurant in my hometown called The Brass Lantern. Truthfully, I was not as thrilled as they seemed to be, but I loved them dearly so I put on a brave face. Crab pleasantly surprised me. We laughed and talked that night while Jim extracted each piece of crab meat for me. It was a lovely evening and I smile often as I am now the one that cracks crab legs for others. 

 


Snow Crab Spread
Original Recipe

10  oz. snow crab meat (about 1½ lbs. crab legs)
¼   cup mayonnaise
1    teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
¼   teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
1    teaspoon lemon juice
2    green onions, sliced thinly 

Extract meat from crab legs, picking over for shells. Mix mayonnaise, Worcestershire sauce, Old Bay seasoning and lemon juice in a small bowl until combined. Fold in crab meat gently taking care not to break apart lumps of crab meat. Sprinkle with green onions and chill until ready to serve.

Harmony's Thoughts
Use homemade mayonnaise if possible...it creates such a silky texture.
Serve on slices of bread, croissants, or sesame crackers, topped with fresh herbs. My favorite is lemon balm (pictured above)

No comments:

Post a Comment